Wednesday, October 12, 2005

New Orleans Makeup Artist Needs Any Media Work While She Rebuilds Her Makeup Studio

New Orleans Makeup Artist Brandy Gomez-Duplessis is looking for Any Freelance Assignments with Magazines, Music Artist, Fashion Shows and many more so she can keep working while she rebuilds her makeup studio that was damaged by Hurricane Katrina.


(PRWEB) October 12, 2005 -- The long term effects of Hurricane Katrina continue to shape an uncertain future for small businesses in New Orleans. For celebrity make-up artist Brandy Gomez-Duplessis, jeopardy is the future. The devastating aftermath has laid waste to her daily business, spread her clientele across the country, and has destroyed all makeup assignments for at least 3-4 months.

As she goes through her appointment book to show me how many booked assignments she had in September, she says, lamenting, “this is horrible, I had photo shoots, weddings, music artist’s performances and fashion shows all lined up. This was going to be a great month for me. A makeup artist’s dream is consistent work.” Despite her loss of business in New Orleans, she remained optimistic about possibly getting out of town assignments as well as possible assignments for Hurricane Katrina benefits, but no assignments have been booked.

“I hear about all of these Hurricane Katrina fashion shows, concerts, and events but not one time have I gotten a call to be a part of any events. I have sent e-mail after e-mail to every organization, television network, and agency for work with no response. Everyone says their event is to help the people in New Orleans. I am a makeup artist from New Orleans.

What is more appropriate than to have a person who not only lost a home, but their business in New Orleans, be a part of the effort. I thought it would really show the care and concern of any organization by hiring New Orleans based make-up artist and hairstylist,” says Gomez-Duplessis.“There has been a lot of media coverage about what happened to the city and its people, but the primary focus seems to have only been on the less fortunate people. Many middle class people and small business owners have been falling through the cracks.

I think a lot of people don’t really understand what it’s like. I closed my business on August 27th with all pre-hurricane precautions taken expecting to resume everything in as little as 2-3 days. I could not even have fathomed the idea that I would be homeless and out of business within 48 hours.” BGD Makeup Artistry & Beauty Bar was located in the Warehouse District.

It’s a 1200 sq ft historical building offered “brow shaping, lash extensions, make-up applications & nail services. In the retail section you could buy girlie items such as trendy handbags, lounge wear, body products, jewelry, and of course makeup from the Gomez-Duplessis makeup line. Friday nights was a hot spot where they offered “Makeup & Martinis.”

This was a very popular themed night for women to come after hours to get services while enjoying complimentary martinis. Gomez-Duplessis says, “My phone was ringing off the hook with so much work that I thought I was going to need a second assistant just to handle bookings. Clients from local women, tourist and media were trying to book me for the next available date.

I just wanted to keep my name out there and do what I love. I do hope I can get approved by SBA to rebuild because I’ve worked very hard and I know women enjoyed coming to BGD Beauty Bar. It was a place where they came to feel sexy, shop, mingle and have a martini all at the same time.”Brandy Gomez-Duplessis is available for assignments outside of Louisiana.

Interviews can be done by phone or email.

Her work can be seen at www.bgdmakeupartistry.com

written byAshley Reynolds504.460.7293

contact Anicio Michaels504.274.8600

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home